Described by the United Nations as “the most friendless people in the world,” the Rohingya are a Muslim minority group in western Burma. Since being stripped of their citizenship in 1982, they have been denied basic human rights such as healthcare and education and been forced into what have been called by many “modern day concentration camps” by the Burmese military and Buddhist extremists.
Shortly after a commission chaired by former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan unveiled a series of policy recommendations to the government of Burma to address these grievances, the Burmese military launched an aggressive and indiscriminate military crackdown against the Rohingya. Extrajudicial killings and arson attacks have caused thousands to flee and caused the UN to accuse the military of ethnic cleansing. Widely considered to be the group most at risk of genocide in the world, it is more important than ever to #RiseforRohingya to prevent genocide and promote peace in Burma.
Many organizations – including STAND! – often focus on high-level policy solutions to resolve conflict. While this is a vital part of atrocity prevention and mitigation, it is also vital to recognize the social dynamics occurring on-the-ground in countries at risk of or experiencing atrocities in order to apply context-specific solutions.
As such, STAND is supporting The Nexus Fund’s work, which seeks to strengthen the global community’s ability to prevent mass atrocities by finding and funding local efforts in areas where there are significant risks of mass violence but still opportunity for prevention. In Burma, this means working to ease tensions between Buddhist and Muslim communities in Rakhine State, where the Rohingya live.
Where is this money going?
As a student-led organization, STAND is supporting specific projects to support youth-led peacebuilding in Burma aimed at reducing violence against Rohingya. 100% of proceeds raised will fund local organizations’ projects to promote peace and tolerance in their communities.
- COUNTER FAKE NEWSRumors about Muslim communities spread like wildfire on Facebook and instigate new violence. We are supporting trainings for young people to learn how to identify and counter fake news.
- PROVIDE SAFE SPACESOftentimes, young people from different communities cannot interact, work together, or even be friends in public – so we support safe spaces for them to develop friendships and learn from each other.
- DESIGN INNOVATIVE PROJECTSThe Rohingya have been persecuted for decades and efforts to help them have failed over and over. Creativity and innovation are needed to see real change, so we are supporting young peacebuilders to develop and implement big and different ideas.
Win a trip to the Documentary Emmys!
The individual who raises the most in September* will attend the Documentary Emmys as the special guest of Sally Smith, the founder and Executive Director of The Nexus Fund. You and Sally will attend to celebrate the Emmy nomination of Behind the Fence, a virtual reality film highlighting the experiences of Rohingya in modern-day concentration camps.
* Minimum amount raised to win is $1,000 in the month of September. We know you love a challenge!
Win a trip to Burma with The Nexus Fund!
Anyone who raises $20,000 to support the Rohingya will be invited on an all-expenses covered trip to Burma next year. You’ll get to meet the people implementing the programs supported by your hard work and see some of the beautiful sights Burma has to offer.
* NOTE: The trip won’t include visits to any risky places and will be facilitated with professionals from The Nexus Fund. Your parents won’t have to worry. More details on planning and trip highlights to come! Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Donate
- Set up a fundraising page on Crowdrise
- Send a check to STAND at:
STAND LLC, c/o Impact Hub DC
419 7th St, NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC, 20004
* Under notes, write “RiseForRohingya: [your name]” – be sure to leave us your contact info so we can get in touch regarding our perks!
- Donate by credit card on our donate page
* Under “add special instructions to the seller” Write “RiseForRohingya [your name]” – be sure to leave us your contact info so we can get in touch regarding our perks!
- Venmo us at @standnow; under notes type “RiseForRohingya [your name]” – and let us know how we can contact you regarding our perks!
- Click here to set up your own Crowdrise fundraising page to get started!
- Click here to download our #RiseforRohingya Toolkit. It will provide you with everything you need to run a successful fundraising campaign on your campus or in your community!
- Click here to access our Google Drive of resources for #RiseForRohingya. Everything from facebook banners to printable one-pagers, powerpoints, and sample press releases live here.