Roses For Rohingya
The Rohingya are a predominantly Muslim ethnic group living in Burma’s western Rakhine State. They have been described by the United Nations as the most persecuted minority in the world. To escape violence, many Rohingya have fled to nearby countries, including Bangladesh, which now houses 1 million Rohingya refugees. The Rohingya are effectively stateless, and are denied citizenship and civil rights in both Burma and Bangladesh.
Join us this Valentine’s Day in supporting the Rohingya by selling roses to support those fleeing violence and trying to build a peaceful homeland.
Described as the “most friendless group in the world,” by the UN, the Rohingya are a persecuted Muslim minority in Burma. In fall 2017, world leaders described the situation as “ethnic cleansing,” a widespread and systematic forced migration of an ethnic group, done with the intent to make a given territory ethnically homogenous.
Since being stripped of their citizenship in 1982, the Rohingya have been denied basic human rights such as healthcare and education and been forced into what have been called by many “modern day concentration camps” by the Burmese military and Buddhist extremists.
In August, the Burmese military launched an aggressive and indiscriminate military crackdown against the Rohingya. Extrajudicial killings and arson attacks have caused thousands to flee to neighboring countries, and in particular Bangladesh, where they are also unwelcome. Widely considered to be the group most at risk of genocide in the world, it is more important than ever to #RiseforRohingya to prevent further violence against the Rohingya and promote peace in Burma.
While STAND often focuses on changing U.S. and global policy for genocide and atrocity prevention, we are also committed to supporting peacebuilding on the ground, and in particular efforts led by those most affected.
As such, STAND is honored to partner with the Nexus Fund, an organization committed to preventing mass atrocities by finding, funding, and supporting local peacebuilding efforts in areas where there are significant risks of mass violence but still opportunities for prevention. In the past year, Nexus has supported projects both to support those displaced by violence and to support local activists working to reconcile communities and prevent future violence.
Where is this money going?
As a student-led organization, STAND is supporting specific projects to support youth-led peacebuilding in Burma aimed at reducing violence against Rohingya. 100% of proceeds raised will fund local organizations’ projects to promote peace and tolerance in their communities.
- COUNTER FAKE NEWS: Rumors about Muslim communities spread like wildfire on Facebook and instigate new violence. We are supporting trainings for young people to learn how to identify and counter fake news.
- PROVIDE SAFE SPACES: Oftentimes, young people from different communities cannot interact, work together, or even be friends in public – so we support safe spaces for them to develop friendships and learn from each other.
- DESIGN INNOVATIVE PROJECTS: The Rohingya have been persecuted for decades and efforts to help them have failed over and over. Creativity and innovation are needed to see real change, so we are supporting young peacebuilders to develop and implement big and different ideas.
How to Donate
- Set up a fundraising page on Crowdrise.
Set up an individual page on the website. If your chapter has a team page, join their team, so the money you raise goes towards both your chapter and your own fundraiser.
- Send a check to STAND at:
P.O. Box 21761
Washington, DC, 20009
* Under notes, write “RiseForRohingya: [your name]” – be sure to leave us your contact info so we can get in touch regarding our perks!
- Donate by credit card on our donate page
* Under “add special instructions to the seller” Write “RiseForRohingya: [your name]” – be sure to leave us your contact info so we can get in touch regarding our perks!
- Venmo us at @standnow; under notes type “RiseForRohingya [your name]” – be sure to leave us your contact info so we can get in touch regarding our perks!
- Plan a Facebook fundraiser under the organization“Aegis America Inc.” STAND’s parent organization. If you do this, be sure to email Mac at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can earmark these funds for #RiseForRohingya!
- Click here to set up your own Crowdrise fundraising page to get started!
- Click here to download our #RosesForRohingya Guide
- Click here to download our #RiseforRohingya Toolkit. It will provide you with everything you need to run a successful fundraising campaign on your campus or in your community!
- Click here to access our Google Drive of resources for #RiseForRohingya. Everything from facebook banners to printable one-pagers, powerpoints, and sample press releases live here.