Check out our list of fundraising successes to find out what others have done to raise money to protect civilians in Darfur and Burma. The events below were all submitted by STAND Chapters who educated their campuses and communities while raising significant funds for GI-NET’s civilian protection program!
- Selling -shirts: buy t-shirts, silkscreen them (try www.blankshirts.com), and re-sell them for a profit.
- Host a benefit: Duquesne’s chapter threw a benefit called “Darfurock” to raise money and awareness about Darfur.
- Throw a party: Have a party and charge $5 at the door. Chapters have made over $1,000 this way!
- Hold a concert: University of Pittsburgh held a concert with a local R&B band and then discussed the conflicts in Darfur and Burma with the audience.
- Make pledge cards: Have people fill out pledge cards and display them in a very public place where lots of people can see. One chapter filled up three corkboards this way, which was a great visual and generated tons of local interest.
- Host a restaurant night: Some restaurants will agree to donate a percentage of their proceeds if you bring a certain amount of people, so invite your whole school to go one night to a restaurant and fundraise money that way!
- Go on a Darfur Diet: Set up camp (if you have a tent, that’s even better) in the middle of the quad and eat what a typical Darfuri would eat one day with your friends. Raises interest as well as publicity for STANDFast!
- Host a screening: Show an informative movie on Darfur or Burma, and charge for admission and/or dinner. For a list of list of recommended movies, click here.
- Do you go to a school with a meal-plan? Hold a STANDFast-a-thon! Work out a deal with your university dining services so that students can opt out of a meal and ask that the money go to protecting civilians in Darfur and Burma instead. A chapter raised over $3,000 doing this!
- Walk-A-Thon or Dance Marathon: Doing a Walk-or-Thon or Dance Marathon is a great way to energize your school and/or community. Have people find sponsors to dance or walk for a certain number of hours.
- Educate: Have a week long education program about Darfur and Burma at your school! Host meetings every day to learn more and do a series of presentations to education your community and/or school.
For more fundraising ideas, click here.